Project: Entry Way (Table)

After finding a post on Pinterest for a table with four drawers and several decorations, my wife and I thought this would be a perfect addition for our entry way.  When you walk into our home, you were greeted with a blank wall measuring around 47" wide.  To the left is the hallway leading straight away and to the right is the entrance to our living room.  Something needed to be put here!

The Final Product!
The steps getting there first meant measuring and started with drawing up plans that would custom-fit the wall.  I knew about how tall I wanted it, and the rest was designing it to look like the post my wife found.  Then it was buying lumbar and start cutting!

I first started with what would be the top of the table. Most of the construction happened upside down. For the legs, I added a deep construction screw from the top and filled it in with wood putty. This was fine as we painted over it later, so you really can't tell anything is there!  In the above two pictures, you can see I've also added the sides with extra support to keep the legs stable.

Here I have the back in place and the front is ready for the drawer frames.  I followed the picture from Pinterest as closely as I could, making 4 drawers.  I decided that since this would likely be for decoration, I would not use drawer sliders (especially with how shallow this table is and how small the drawers are) so they literally just rest on tracks (making them quite wobbly to take in and out).

The first picture above has the drawer cutouts done and on.  Then skipped a few steps and the second picture shows the four drawers and the base shelf.  The base shelf ended up spreading the legs further apart as they were bent inwards.  This meant that I had to re-cut the bottoms of them to even them out so the table didn't wobble.

My wife painted the table and fronts of the drawers with chalk paint.  This turned out really nice!  Highly recommend it as it's durable and provides a nice thick coat with one application.

Then we added four drawer handles we found at Hobby Lobby and it was done!
In fact, all of the decorations ("hello", flower vases, flowers/greenery, and baskets) were found at Hobby Lobby.  The mirror we picked up at Wal-Mart for $20.  This all has added a much needed piece to a bland wall!




Comments

Popular Posts